Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Open source electronic modules that snap!

img_0599-small.jpg
Little Bits

One of my favorite electronic kit of all time is the one I had found in a yard sale, the Lectron, magnetic electronic blocks to discover the magic of electronics in a minute! This was very cool to find at a yard sale, but I was always wandering why such kits did not exist today. Well... a friend of mine from the MIT Media Lab, Ayah Bdeir, did it beautifully with LittleBits: the magnetic blocks hands-on remain, there is less an "electronic understanding" per se and more of an an "experiment me first" attitude. The design is very well thought out too with the color coded modules and the easy snap-on pieces.Electronic components are classified: input, output, power and wire, are color coded (sooo cute) and easily snap-able. With 50 modules in hands, everything can happen! I can't wait to put my hand on the started kit and see how my little one (just turned 2!) will adjust to this new creative medium!

No comments: