Tuesday, March 11, 2008

DIY: A latte art printing machine!

I posted on bread laser printing, fruit printing, computer etching, 3d printing your own guitar, printing your clothing (a next step for TUI), and also about the secret-spying marks left by your printer as you print!

Today, I found this wacky and so cooool tutorial on how to make your own latte art printing machine. Oleskiy Pikalo wanted art work on his latte, so he bought a x-y flatbed plotter (Philips 8155) on eBay and a great book by Matt Gilliland: “Inkjet Applications”!

Here is the result, see the video!



He offers a tutorial on how to build something like this, here you go, so you need (I quote him):

1) An old flatbed plotter (in my case it was Philips 8155) - make sure it has real x-y translation stage. Your best bet is to perform a search on eBay for flatbed plotter. On a good day, you may get a decent fully working plotter for under 100$. I got mine for 175$ with shipping, because I wanted A3 format for later use, and a bunch of pens.

2) Most old plotters connect through GPIB/Serial interface -mine connected through GPIB interface, so I needed a GPIB card, which I also got on eBay. I got my card for around 30$, because the one I purchased was not a popular kind (LTP1 - GPIB).

3) Matt Gilliland’s book Inkjet Applications. It looks like Parallax has this fabulous kit on 40% sale for 59.95$

4) A small 12V relay (my plotter lowers pen by applying 12V to the solenoid). This relay will enable the stream of ink from the inkjet cartridge.

5 ) Edible ink - preferably brown. You can work with coffee directly instead of ink, but the contrast is not as good as wwith ink. Again, I got mine on eBay.

Good luck!

Posted by Cati Vaucelle @ Architectradure
.............................................................................................
Blog Jouons Blog Maison Blog Lesson

2 comments:

Sotopia said...

I think 3D printing is so cool. We print a lot of models each day. The sky is the limit with this freedom of form.

cheers
rene
sotopiaconcepts.com

EliseLovesCoffee said...

Still, don't forget about traditional latte art! Whole Latte Love is sponsoring a latte art contest -- they're giving away two Gaggia Baby Twin espresso machines.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/latteart_contest.cfm