Friday, October 28, 2005

Project: Memento Box

The Memento Box is a personal door to souvenirs. I designed this interactive box as an attractive passage from door to space. The door leads to my souvenirs and is always slightly opened.



The door to souvenirs

I usually gather my souvenirs, my life memento artefacts into a shoe box . This shoe box gets older with the souvenirs and is such a precious element in my life . Any of the objects it contains recalls a passage in my life .

What if these souvenirs could be recalled though our senses? a smell can prompt a memory, a taste can suddenly recall an old story, e.g. the Madeleine of Marcel Proust and whenever we day dream, memories just pop up to our mind .
However, when we try to concentrate of souvenirs, they just fade away. There is this illusory sensation that it is impossible to grasp them, and the hardest we try, the less clearer the souvenirs become .

What if the process of recalling souvenirs were embedded into a shoe box and what of this shoe box becomes a space, our personal space of souvenirs .

I designed this interactive box as an attractive passage from door to space . The door leads to my souvenirs and is always slightly opened . A bright light shines in the back of the box clarifying a few objects and pictures around it . However, whenever my hand tries to grab what captures the eye, the door closes onto my hand and all is dark again . Whenever I go away for a tiny bit, the door opens up and more lights shine into some parts of my souvenirs and I can travel though them from far away ...

This project is my first assignment for the Kinetic Architecture class at Harvard GSD . More information about this project -its computational implementation, design properties, and concept details- can be found on my technical blog .

Inside the box


  • When you first come close to the box, the door is slightly opened with some light in the back. When you come closer, the light turns off and the door closes. If you step back then the door opens mid way and a few lights shine in the back. It never opens up completly as you can never recall all of your memories even from a single moment ...
    It connects a bit with Tantalus story where water recedes as he tries to drink and fruits retreat as he tries to reach.


  • Inside the box.
    well you cannot really see everything as it meant to attract you and represent the process of remembering souvenirs. If you go from far away you can then see few Legos everywhere, pictures of my childhood, my favorite doll as a child and few others objects ...



  • Process of building the box.

    Hardware:
    I am using a BASIC Stamp Rev. Dx Module to control a photocell sensor and a servo motor.

    Mechanic:
    I am using a rotational to linear motion system I made with Legos pieces.

    Software:
    I am writing in Basic for this Basic Stamp



  • I am using a rotational to linear motion system I made with Legos pieces that is hidden among the Lego objects inside the box



  • Electronics consist of a programable BASIC Stamp Rev. Dx Module, a photocell, few LEd's, minimum electronic components, and a servo motor

  • No comments: